San Francisco, California, United States · Engineering
Apcera has built the trusted cloud platform, and we're looking for the best and brightest in the business to help us innovate. Founded in 2012 by seasoned industry executives, Apcera delivers enterprise-grade cloud and workload management capabilities where security is never an afterthought, all while keeping the technologies that our customers love close to the core. At Apcera you’ll be part of a team where ideas, innovation, and diversity are embraced and celebrated.
As a software engineer at Apcera, you will build the core of the platform developers use to deploy and manage their mission-critical applications. You’ll evaluate the best open source technology to use, and help to contribute back to those projects to make both our platform and the community at large stronger. And you’ll get to shape the direction of our platform as our small team grows to build the best platform.
At Apcera we support open source software (OSS). Apcera is an active participant in the CNCF, we co-sponsored the development of WebSocket support in NGINX, and created and maintain the open-source NATS project, a lightening-fast cloud messaging platform written in Go. As an engineering at Apcera you will be using and contributing to open source projects
As a Software Engineer who focuses on Apcera platform container technology your work will start at the Linux container level and extend up through our container runtime, scheduler, packaging system, health management layer, and policy system. You’ll evaluate the best of the best technology out there to make our platform even better. You’ll write primarily in Go, with some Ruby, Bash, and C miscellany being available on the side. And you’ll build a platform developers will love using.
- Bachelor’s degree in Engineering or equivalent experience.
- Experience with systems programming languages such as C, C++, or Go.
- Strong knowledge with algorithms and data structures.
- 4+ years developing server side software with a focus on multi-threaded and/or distributed systems.
- Working knowledge of scripting in Bash, Python, Perl, or Ruby.
- Knowledge of networking protocols such as TCP-IP, HTTP, UDP, programming with sockets.
- Knowledge of virtualization technologies like KVM, Xen or VMware.
- Good knowledge of container technologies such as libvirt, Docker, Rocket or Kurma.
- Experience with container orchestration such as Kubernetes, Docker Swarm, Tectonic or Mesosphere.
- Demonstrated clear and concise communications and documentation skills. Track record of working well with other team members.
- Knowledge of best software engineering practices for the full software development life cycle, including coding standards, code reviews, source control management, build processes, testing, and operations.
- Experience writing kernel code (Linux or BSD distributions), device drivers and/or modules.
- Experience with dominant cloud management platforms like OpenStack, AWS, GCE or Azure.
- Experience with all aspects of service-based web application development.
- Strong record of contributions to open source software.
- Experience with Docker, Mesos, CoreOS, and/or Hashicorp technologies.
- Knowledge of Linux container technologies, and how they compare to/differ from virtualization technologies like KVM, Xen, etc.
- Strong Linux systems expertise, including basic Linux system administration experience.
- Direct experience with multithreaded programming or distributed systems programming.
- Competitive salary and equity-based incentives
- Great location in the heart of SOMA SF
- Flexible vacation policy
- Free weekly gourmet lunches
- 100% premium-paid medical, dental, vision, and life insurance
Apcera is an Equal Opportunity Employer: All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, sex, color, religion, sexual orientation, gender identity, national origin, protected veteran status, or on the basis of disability.
Note: Apcera does not accept agency resumes. Please do not forward resumes to any recruiting alias or employee. Apcera is not responsible for any fees related to unsolicited resumes.
In compliance with federal law, all persons hired will be required to verify identity, background, and eligibility to work in the United States and to complete the required employment eligibility verification document form upon hire.